Skip to content
ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows Program 2019 – FAQs
- How do I apply?
Applicants must submit an online application by February 28, 2019 at 11:59pm CST. Application materials include (1) an application form; (2) resume or CV; (3) college transcripts; (4) two letters of recommendation; and (5) two essays and one open-ended question.
- What are the start and end dates for the program?
The summer intensive program runs June 17, 2019 – August 9, 2019. Research team placements, if available begin in the Fall of 2019, depending on the start of the academic year at each student’s institution. Research Team placements are not guaranteed and dependent on availability.
- Will I be paid for being a ChicagoCHEC Research Fellow?
During the 8 week long summer intensive program, ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows will receive a stipend of $3600. Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to receive funding. Students will complete a final project throughout the summer that will relate to the cancer disparity research of ChicagoCHEC research teams. Fellows can apply to receive course credit (e.g., via an independent study) or service learning credit. Housing, meals, and local travel support is not provided. Travel is required for the program which will be primarily take place in downtown Chicago.
- Am I guaranteed to be granted a ChicagoCHEC Research Team Placement or ChicagoCHEC related job after the program?
Research Team placements are not guaranteed and dependent on availability. Throughout the summer fellowship, students will encounter and have the opportunity to network with a vast array of healthcare professionals across our partner institutions and learn about health equity research. You will have the opportunity to form lasting professional relationships. ChicagoCHEC staff will keep you fully informed of Research Team placement and job opportunities as they become available.
- Am I allowed to take classes during the summer intensive program?
Research Fellows are expected to devote a minimum of 40 hours per week, on a Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM basis during the summer intensive program. Therefore, students should not take courses, or engage in other work or volunteer commitments during the daytime.
- Will I be provided with a professional mentor after the program?
Professional mentor pairing is not guaranteed and exclusively dependent on the availability of ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows Program leaders and lecture participants. The Research Fellows Program exposes students to the expertise of a diverse array of high level and high ranking health equity and cancer research professionals. Networking opportunities are frequently provided during the program and highly encouraged.
- What are the program expectations?
Fellows are expected to attend the 8 week intensive program on a Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM basis, which will primarily take place in downtown Chicago. Travel support to and from the program is not provided, unless otherwise specified.
- Who is eligible to apply?
Eligibility criteria are listed on our website. The program will give preference to students from diverse backgrounds, including underrepresented racial and ethnic groups (including but are not limited to African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians/Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders), individuals with disabilities, and/or individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- I am a graduate student. Can I apply?
Graduate students are not eligible to apply. We may have programs targeted for graduate-level students in the future, so please be sure to check our website regularly, sign up for our mailing list, or follow us on Twitter or Instagram to get the latest program updates.
- I am a senior who will be graduating. Can I apply?
Yes, seniors at UIC, NEIU, and Northwestern are eligible to apply.
- I just graduated – am I eligible to apply?
Postbaccalaureates (within 2 years of graduation) are eligible to apply. If you have been accepted into a postbaccalaureate program at Northeastern Illinois University, Northwestern University, or the University of Illinois at Chicago, and you have graduated from a fellows program eligible undergraduate institution within two years, you are still eligible to apply.
- I was in another research-related summer or internship program last year, am I eligible for the ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows program this year?
Yes, students who have previously participated in an academic or research-related enrichment program, mentorship program, internship, or summer program are eligible to apply.
- I am not a permanent resident or U.S. Citizen. Can I apply?
If you are an international student, or if you are not a permanent resident or U.S. Citizen, please send us an email at [email protected] with additional questions. Please keep in mind that while we welcome your application to the fellows program, we are unable to provide you with the $3600 stipend. However, you will receive all other program benefits.
- I am a freshman but have a lot of science credits and experience; can I apply?
Yes, rising sophomores are eligible to apply.
- I was not accepted in the ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows program in a previous year. Can I reapply this year?
Yes, we would encourage you to apply again.
- What is the minimum GPA to be considered for the program?
There is no minimum GPA requirement.
- I have never done research before, am I still eligible for the ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows program?
Yes, this program is open to undergraduates and postbacs with or without actual research experience.
- Is there a deadline for submission of applications?
February 28, 2019 at 11:59pm CST
- Are letters of recommendation required? Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
Two letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter must be from a faculty member. If you have previously participated in an academic or research-related enrichment program, mentorship program, internship, or summer program, we recommend that at least one letter be from your program mentor.
- Is an official transcript required?
Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- How will I know if you have received my application?
Upon submission, you will see a “Thank you for submitting your application to the ChicagoCHEC Research Fellows Program” note. If you have any technical difficulties or do not see this confirmation page, please send an email to [email protected] so that we can confirm receipt of your application.
- When will I find out if I have been accepted into the program?
You will be notified in April 2019.
- If I am not selected this summer, can I apply again?
Yes, if you were not selected, we definitely encourage you to apply again.