We’ve compiled resources to support faculty & staff in cancer research, community engagement, education, training, and mentoring.
We’ve compiled resources to support faculty & staff in cancer research, community engagement, education, training, and mentoring. We will keep adding new resources, so visit this space regularly! Have a resource you think would be great to include here? Contact us at [email protected]. For resources about grants & funding, please check out the ChicagoCHEC grants & funding resources page.
Research: Compliance & Regulation
- Northwestern IRB templates & forms – for protection of research subjects, including protocol and consent form templates.
- Northeastern Illinois University IRB resources – forms and guidelines for project involving human subjects.
- University of Illinois at Chicago human subjects & IRB – preparation and submission information for investigators and research staff.
- PMC Compliance page per NIH:
- Literacy & Numeracy considerations when considering informed consent procedures (IRB):
- ARCC Resource Directory – inventory of community-engaged research tools, partnership evaluation tools, and resources for disseminating research findings and communicating to community and academic audiences. Resources developed and is maintained by the Alliance for Research in Chicagoland Communities (ARCC).
- REDCap Training Resources – videos teaching the basic functions and features within a REDCap project, how to build and modify data collection instruments, and more.
Data Management and Design
- idre UCLA -Tips and tricks for data manipulation, data management software packages and basic statistical techniques.
- Coursera course on clinical data management.
- Coursera course on data management.
- Coursera course on data visuals.
- REDCap Tutorials & REDCap contacts at each site – videos teaching the basic functions and features within a REDCap project, contacts, and more.
- Northwestern Medicine Enterprise Data Warehouse – a repository of all clinical and research data sources at Northwestern to facilitate research, clinical quality, healthcare operations, and medical education. data sources include Cerner PowerChart, PRIMES, Epic, IDX, eNOTIS, and 50+ other systems from the campus.
- City of Chicago Data Portal – over 200 datasets presented in easy-to-use formats about City departments, services, facilities and performance.
- Chicago Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Resources – City of Chicago GIS maps and resources. Links to data sets with GIS and Geospatial data.
Got Cancer Data?
- NCI Data catalog:
- National Health and Nutrition Survey (NHANES)
- National Health Information Survey (NHIS)
- Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS)
- Comprehensive list of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) files and documentation
Health Disparities Literature
- “Measuring Chicago’s Health: Findings from the 2014 Healthy Chicago Survey” – a detailed look at the health status and health behavior of Chicago’s 2.7 million residents.
- American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts & Figures – annual report that provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2015, as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment.
Education, Training, and Mentoring
- Coming soon…
All Things Manuscript – Writing Resources
- Impact factors – What does it mean? How to make the most of them? (And a brief history lesson if you’d like one!)
- PubMed resources – Tips and Tricks:
- All manuscripts, abstracts, etc. stemming from ChicagoCHEC must include an acknowledgment of ChicagoCHEC’s NCI funding source. Example: “Funding support for the Chicago Cancer Health Equity Collaborative (ChicagoCHEC) is provided by the National Cancer Institute (grants U54CA202995, U54CA202997, and U54CA203000).”
- Presenting a poster? Check out this great link from our friends at NU Galter Library on effective poster creation and presentation:
- Presenting? Check out these helpful tips and tricks:
- Whether you are submitting your first publication or your 150th, learn from editors what makes your article unique and PUBLISHIBLE!
- Also see:“8 reasons I accepted your article” Top reasons a manuscript gets published.
Meeting / Communication Tools
- Free conference call site – This site is perfect for when resources are low but communication still needs to occur! Visit the site and set up your own personal conference call line that can be continually used. Conference call recording and internal call-in capabilities are available…HERE!
- Blue Jeans – Blue Jeans is a free service available to anyone with a valid NU netID. Just fill out an account and you can get started! Feel free to contact a NU ChicagoCHEC staff member for more information.
- Coming soon…
Are you a student interested in a health care or research career? Are you looking for work experiences, classes, and student groups to help you explore the possibilities?
Writing a grant application is a significant undertaking. Let us help you find funding to move your ideas forward!